Sunday, March 9, 2008

Life Experienced at the Last Minute













We tend to be creatures of habit. We yearn for consistency, stability and predictability. So when life throws you curve balls it can be good or bad. On Thursday night we experienced the good.

Our friends and neighbors, Jen and Hyrum Knapp, called me as I was driving home from work and asked if Britt and I were able to attend the Matchbox 20 concert with them. We scrambled, found a babysitter (Thanks Cassi), and headed to the E-Center.

Now we have not attended a "real" concert in quite a long time. Sure, we saw Richard Marx at the Scera Shell this summer, but I'm not sure that counted. In fact, I think the last "real" concert I saw was Depeche Mode in 1994. We saw Styx, Journey and REO Speedwagen a few years back as well, but they are all in their 50's now, so again didn't count.

The opening act was Alanis Morisette. She was a far cry from her 90's rocker image. She sang all the classics, finished, and then was apperently on her way to be inducted into the National Canadian Hall of Fame (It is all I can do to not provide commentary on that! Come on, "Canadian Hall of Fame! That's like an oxymoron.). The concert broke and we went for a drink and some nachos.

Upon our return the stage was set and the band was getting ready to come on. They opened the concert with "How Far We've Come." A smashing hit that got the crowd riled up and ready to party. They played for a little more than two hours and it was a lot of fun. Britt and I felt like teenagers again, although we were ready to get home and find some tylenol to cure the headache from the noise. Thanks to Jen and Hyrum for reminding us that concerts can be a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Erik, you crack me up! I am glad you got to go have some fun. It is great that people still do these things...at your age :)

Anonymous said...

You lucky dogs! That sounds like so much fun. I love Matchbox 20! Way to love it up... and I am still jealous that you got to go to Richard Marx, even if it was at the Scera Shell!